Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sunday parameters


 My name is John Hillstead and I'm co-hosting Seth's blog this week.  Make no mistake that this is entirely Seth's blog, but I earned the privilege of guest writing by posting hilarious comments on his board.  I can't guarantee that you'll ever get to be a guest writer here, but if you actually make comments on the board, you too could get the right to make a contribution on "entertaining ramblings."  So keep reading and start posting comments.  Between Seth and I we hope to gain at least five people that will faithfully follow this blog. (Excluding immediate family members who already read it out of obligation).
         The subject for my post came about a month ago when a few of our friends were trying to agree on a date when could all go snowboarding together.  Long story short we were having trouble coordinating our schedules so that we all could go together.  After two failed attempts it looked like we would never find a night that would work for all four of us.  We were about to jettison the idea altogether when I threw out the possibility of going boarding on a Sunday, because it might be the only day of the week that would work for all of us.
   Ok, so before you think that I am a complete reprobate for suggesting it, let me assure you that I didn't expect any of my friends to agree to Sunday snowboarding. And sure enough they all respectfully informed me that they wouldn't participate in a recreational activity on the Sabbath, even if it was the only day we could all go together.  I didn't push the issue, in fact, I applauded them for adhering to their conviction to keep the sabbath day holy.  As you are well aware,  we were finally able to find a day that would work for all of us and we had a good time snowboarding without breaking the sabbath(See Seth's blog entitled "snowboarding.")
       The whole incident got me thinking about how we as Latter Day Saints observe the sabbath.  It seems like one of those commandments that is open to a wide array of interpretations.  Most of my friends and family try to observe the sabbath, but it seems they all do it in a different way.  Now bear in mind I'm not calling anybody a hypocrit here, just making observations on how different people observe to keep the sabbath day holy.
      Sunday of course is a big day in the world of sports entertainment.  Most members I know would never attend a sporting event in person on Sunday (with the exception of my friend Doug, see Seth's blog entitled "Doug"). They also would never participate in a sport activity on Sunday.  However, nobody I know seems to have any qualms about watching sporting events on television on Sunday.  My dad in particular enjoys watching pro football after he attends his meetings.  He also relishes the opportunnity to watch the superbowl with his family every year.  In fact, everybody I know watches the superbowl, even those that claim they have no interest in football.   The event itself has transcended the world of sports and has become an unofficial national holiday which will always fall on Sunday.
         Some members view sabbath observance more stringently.  For instance, they refrain from watching television and doing homework on Sunday.  I think they must be the exception because I currently don't know  anybody who refrains from tv on Sunday.  In fact I think we watch an awful lot of tv on Sunday (but only after we attend our meetings of course).  We even watch movies on Sunday, either on our cable tv packages or on dvd.  Generally speaking nobody goes out to the movie theaters to see a movie on Sunday.  One time I was contemplating going to the cinema on the sabbath (ok now you really think I am a reprobate) my brother James admonished me not to go.  I rationalized by saying that we already watch movies at home on Sunday so why couldn't we go to the theater?  His response was that when we go to the theater, we are making somebody else work on Sunday.  I didn't end up going to the movie but I thought about his response.  Under that logic, can we rent a movie from redbox or download one from our netflix account?  What if I did go to the movie on Sunday but bought a ticket from the kiosk vender instead of the person at the box office?  That way I wouldn't be making anybody work on Sunday (at least not as many).
          Finally, as a general rule we reserve party's and get-togethers for other days of the week outside Sunday.  But there are a lot of exceptions to to that.  For instance if your birthday falls on Sunday we usually celebrate it.  Even if it doesn't, Sunday is a good day to have your birthday party because family and friends can celebrate with you.  I think we also have other partyesque activities on Sunday that we don't necessarily call parties.  For example in a former singles ward of mine a group gathered together every Sunday night after family home evening to have a "game night."  They would play get-together games card games and bring food.  I've known other singles wards to have "movie nights," where a circle of friends gather every Sunday to watch an old movie on DVD at somebody's house (see paragraph #4).   Some of you may even be old enough to remember the days when we had missionary farewells and homecomings.  The missionaries family would host an "open house" where members of his ward would leave church early to eat lunch buffet style and congratulate the departing missionary or welcome him home.  It wasn't called a "going away party" or a "welcome back party," we called it an "open house."  But of course the church came out and advised against those in 2002,  maybe because they looked too much like a party.  I'm just saying.  There are other examples of things we in the church do that look like parties but you get the idea.
              So there are just a few observations on how we as members of the church observe the sabbath.  But I want to know what you think. How do you as members of the church obey the sabbath?  Do you think we sometimes rationalize our sabbath activities like I did?  Or is it that sabbath day observation is really up to the individual and his family, i.e. many different ways to look at it?  I guess the most important question is how do you keep somebody like me from persuading you to do something you know you shouldn't be doing on the sabbath?  I think that is a post for another day.

4 comments:

  1. Are you guys on Twitter? you need to start tweeting this stuff, i think you could get a really good following. also get something interesting to look at on the blog. Google searches for relating images even. Something simple but that grabs attention. Also, link up to other blogs that you enjoy, and often in return, those blogs will link back to you. I think this blog is interesting and entertaining, there's definitely a following for you out there. Give it a little time and love and get the word out there. Facebook too. Start a page and get followers. Good luck!

    As for the post itself, in my opinion, it's the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law. What does the sabbath day mean to you personally? (not just YOu, but everyone singularly). And also, how much conviction do you have to actually stick to your principals. Is the gospel and is Jesus Christ so important in your life, do you love it enough to worship fully on the appointed day? When dealing with the sabbath day, it's a very loaded question. Something to remember when talking about it is, yes, everyone has their own interpretation of how to keep the sabbath day holy, but more importantly, God gave us free agency. We are free to choose just how we spend our day off. In study and prayer, in entertainment, in the beautiful outdoors with our families. There are a multitude of beautiful activities to participate in that bring a sense of togetherness and invite the spirit of the Lord. There are those that don't invite the spirit. Most of us know how to tell the difference. ;) Back in the day it was absolutely no working on the sabbath to the point of no laundry and little cooking even. I think that's a bit much and silly. We cook together as a family and make treats together. Like I said, the spirit of the law.

    We happened to miss church on sunday because we didn't know it was stake conference. We were an hour and a half late and the stake building is 30 minutes away. So we took a nice long family walk at a nature center trail. We worshiped God in that way, we gave thanks and praise and we focused on the things that matter the most; our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last few weeks I've been working 10 hour days, six days a week. Sunday has been my only day off. My church starts too early for me, so I usually sleep in. After that, I figure I already broke the Sabbath, so I'll go to the movies, eat out, etc. At least I'm spending extra time with my family instead of waking them up super early, scramble to get them all ready and spend the next 3 miserable hours trying to keep them quiet. Plus we have to spend the time away from my wife, who works graveyards Saturday and Sunday night and sleeps when our church starts. I'm sure she could use the extra quiet time if we went, but if she doesn't come with us, I feel why should I go? One thing similar to this fine line of keeping commandments and not is why do LDS church members abolish drinking coffee, yet themselves drink Mountain Dew or some other highly sugary, caffeine-loaded drink thet is worse for people than coffee? A topic to be discussed another day. Hey John, if you called me to go snowboarding on Sunday, I probably would have said no because I would need to find a rental place that would be open on Sunday. With a bit of notice, I would have said yes. Nice blog-man. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John - are you trying to make me feel guilty? This post was very thought provoking. This kind of writing is why I always enlist you to help write talks and lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job everybody. Thanks for the comments and feedback. Stay tuned for upcoming posts from Seth and myself.

    ReplyDelete